Re: Massive problems with 2.4.20 module loading

From: Chris Rankin (rankincj@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Nov 30 2002 - 11:08:17 EST

On Sat Nov 30 2002 - 09:36:57 EST, Alan Cox wrote:
> Linux 2,4.20 doesnt include vmware or ALSA. The fact you list those
> modules alone suggests that the problem is that you haven't rebuilt
> them for the new kernel.

Well maybe that's his problem and maybe it isn't, but he's not the only
person thinking that there's something strange about devfs in 2.4.20. I
have a 2.4.20-SMP box that is deadlocking when loading modules via
devfs. The NMI watchdog has produced two oopsen for me, which I have
published to this list, and while one oops is also from the ALSA
modules, the other is from mga.o. Both oopsen occur in the
__write_lock_failed() function and have devfs_open() in the module
stack. I have most definitely NOT forgotten to recompile everything for
2.4.20, and I am using symbol versioning anyway.

Chris