Re: Setting MAC address in ewrk3 driver

From: Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@pobox.com)
Date: Thu Nov 21 2002 - 19:02:32 EST

Alan Cox wrote:

> On Thu, 2002-11-21 at 23:39, Adam Kropelin wrote:
>
> >Alan, could you clarify for me? I'm the last guy to diddle with ewrk3 so
> >I'll track this down if there is indeed something to track down. ewrk3
> >has a private ioctl for setting the mac address. By the "up" method do
> >you mean the etherdev open method? Should there be a standard ioctl
> >implemented for setting the mac address?
>

> dev->set_mac_address()

To be more specific:

Read the MAC address in the probe phase.
Write MAC address to NIC on _each_ dev->open().
If you care about changing the MAC address while interface is up,
implement dev->set_mac_address().

So, dev->set_mac_address() is pretty useless, when you can just tell
users "down the interface before setting MAC address" which is a sane
thing to do anyway, and much less complicated.

        Jeff