Re: RFC - new raid superblock layout for md driver

From: Kevin Corry (corryk@us.ibm.com)
Date: Thu Nov 21 2002 - 15:35:59 EST

On Thursday 21 November 2002 14:49, Steven Dake wrote:
> Doug,
>
> Yup this would be ideal and I think this is what EVMS tries to do,
> although I haven't tried it.

This is indeed what EVMS's new design does. It has user-space plugins that
understand a variety of on-disk-metadata formats. There are plugins for LVM
volumes, for MD RAID devices, for partitions, as well as others. The plugins
communicate with the MD driver to activate MD devices, and with the
device-mapper driver to activate other devices.

As for whether DM and MD kernel drivers should be merged: I imagine it could
be done, since DM already has support for easily adding new modules, but I
don't see any overwhelming reason to merge them right now. I'm sure it will
be discussed more when 2.7 comes out. For now they seem to work fine as
separate drivers doing what each specializes in. All the integration issues
that have been brought up can usually be dealt with in user-space.

--
Kevin Corry
corryk@us.ibm.com