Where is ext2/3 secure delete ("s") attribute?

From: Kent Borg (kentborg@borg.org)
Date: Thu Nov 21 2002 - 12:52:40 EST

I happened upon the chattr command and was pleased to see that "s"
means to write zeros (or is it random data?) to the blocks of deleted
files. Cool, except I can't see that it works.

First, deleting a large file with the "s" attribute happens far too
quickly.

Second, I can't see where any of this is implemented in the source
code (as of Red Hat's 2.4.18-17.7.x and straight 2.4.19). The file
fs/ext2/CHANGES talks about how the zero writing was changed to
writing random data--but nothing seems to implement this.

What happened to this feature? Was it too slow or buggy? Did the
Federales force its removal?

(Would this be best implemented as a background scrub and I am missing
a daemon?)

Thanks,

-kb, the Kent who would like to have his notebook not be full of
easily undeletable files.