Re: spinlocks, the GPL, and binary-only modules

From: Herman Oosthuysen (Herman@WirelessNetworksInc.com)
Date: Thu Nov 21 2002 - 11:54:38 EST

The way I read it, the GPL is not the monster that most people think it
is. In order to understand the GPL, you have to read all the acts that
apply and that should start with the constitution of your country and
state. You cannot read the GPL in isolation and think that you
understand it. "Beware of a man of only one book", applies in this case.

Using a header file in proprietary code, could be argued as reverse
engineering to ensure interoperability with another program. This type
of thing is described in the DMCA in the USA and in the copyright acts
of other countries, which are all pretty much the same. Since the GPL
depends on the various Copyright acts, I think that using a GPL header
in proprietary code to ensure compatibility, is allowed.

Another thing to bear in mind, is that 'fair use' is also allowed under
the various copyright acts. Consequently it can be argued that you may
use *some* GPL code in proprietary code and the larger the base of GPL
code becomes, the larger the amount of fair use that will be allowed.
Since the total GPL code base of the kernel is now many megabytes in
size, fair use of some kilobytes of GPL code may very well be reasonable.

Check this out with your own lawyers...

Cheers,

--

------------------------------------------------------------------------ Herman Oosthuysen B.Eng.(E), Member of IEEE Wireless Networks Inc. http://www.WirelessNetworksInc.com E-mail: Herman@WirelessNetworksInc.com Phone: 1.403.569-5687, Fax: 1.403.235-3965 ------------------------------------------------------------------------