Re: New kconfig: Please add define_*

From: Roman Zippel (zippel@linux-m68k.org)
Date: Thu Nov 21 2002 - 11:55:42 EST

Hi,

On Thu, 21 Nov 2002, Adrian Bunk wrote:

> one thing that easily leads to errors is that the difference between
> e.g. bool and define_bool is less obvious than before (it's no longer
> explicitely stated). If there's no string behind the bool and no
> "prompt" line it's now treated as define_bool. I've already found two
> places in sound/oss/Kconfig where this was missing accidentially. Could
> you add explicite define_* back to the config language and let the
> program quit with an error if there's e.g. a define_bool with a string
> or prompt line or a bool without a string or prompt line?

It was not missing accidentially, these symbols were defined with
define_bool before.
I'll think about the define_* syntax, but I will not make the other syntax
illegal. The current 'bool "prompt"' is already a shortcut for the more
common requirement:

config FOO
        bool
        prompt '...'

Also note that the role of the default has changed, a default cannot
override a prompt anymore (it only provides a default value to the
prompt). The define_* syntax might imply that this is possible, but it
won't.

bye, Roman