Re: 2.5 kconfig doesn't handle "&& m" correctly

From: Roman Zippel (zippel@linux-m68k.org)
Date: Thu Nov 21 2002 - 11:38:50 EST

Hi,

On Thu, 21 Nov 2002, Adrian Bunk wrote:

> > treated like booleans, that means they are visible if the dependencies are
> > different than 'n'. For this it should be possible to automatically add
> > '&& MODULES' if the parser sees a 'm'. I'll have to check this out.
>
> My first thought is that this sounds like a workaround. Is there a good
> reason not to restore the semantics of the old kconfig that interpreted
> dependencies as a restriction of the input range?

It still does mostly, that's one case I missed. The old config had more
than one semantic regarding visible input range (the shell 'if' semantic
and the dep_* dependencies, which differed again between the commands),
kconfig has only one. So it's not matter of restoring semantics, but
translating them correctly. In general a symbol is now visibile is if the
dependencies are !='n', "restoring" would mean to change this into ='y'
only for tristate symbols when MODULES='n', this would be an even larger
hack. Translating 'm' into 'm && MODULES' is the cleaner solution, as it
doesn't change the base kconfig logic.

bye, Roman