Re: unusual scheduling performance

From: William Lee Irwin III (wli@holomorphy.com)
Date: Wed Nov 20 2002 - 17:19:20 EST

On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 03:12:57PM +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> one thing to note is that the kernel's compilation is not something that
> parallelizes well to above 8 CPUs. Our make architecture creates many link
> points which serialize 'threads of compilation'.

Well, I was only -j64. Thats 2 processes per-cpu... something unusual
seems to happen with low process/cpu density. Some fiddling around with
prior kernels seemed to show that both -j64 and -j256 were previously
near-equivalent sweet spots for 32x.

On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 03:12:57PM +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> i'd try two things:
> 1) try Erich Focht's NUMA enhancements to the load balancer.
> 2) remove the -pipe flag from arch/i386/Makefile
> the later thing will reduce the number of processes and makes compilation
> more localized to a single CPU - which might (or might not) help NUMA
> architectures.

The unusual bit that neither of those can really address was that
eating a single cpu with something completely unrelated sped the whole
process up from 48s to 36s on 32x (this is all nicely repeatable). No
good explanations for this have surfaced yet. I'll have to get a good
way of logging what processes are chewing how much cpu and what cpus
they're running on before I can send comprehensible traces of this.

OTOH Focht's fork() and/or exec() -time load balancing should
significantly help the low process/cpu density case by creating an
opportunity for load balancing before the lifetime of short-lived
processes expires, with the added bonus of keeping things within
nodes most of the time.

Thanks,
Bill