One more time: /usr/include/linux, /usr/include/asm

From: Mark H. Wood (mwood@IUPUI.Edu)
Date: Wed Nov 20 2002 - 17:05:45 EST

I just built a new glibc. (Yes, I do that.) Recalling that the
above-mentioned paths are (according to Linus and many others) not
supposed to be links to /usr/src/linux or any other kernel-kit-du-jour, I
resolved to be a good boy and get rid of those links. For some reason I
expected that 'make install' for glibc would create directories there and
put into them whatever it wanted. I recall that that was discussed....

No dice. glibc 2.3.1 still installs headers into /usr/include/{VARIOUS}
which refer to /usr/include/linux and /usr/include/asm but does not supply
that to which they refer. *sigh* After rummaging through several long
threads in the archives, I still don't have an answer to the following:

1. What is supposed to be in /usr/include/linux and /usr/include/asm?
2. Where does the information come from?
3. Who is responsible for putting it there?

(Just to get my system back to a state in which I can compile userspace
stuff, I made the following assumptions:

1. Everything from linux/include/linux resp. linux/include/asm-$ARCH .
2. The kernel kit which supplied the headers used to build glibc.
3. The person building glibc.

IOW I just copied wholesale those two directories from the kernel kit
which I had nominated with configure --with-headers, to /usr/include.)

I note that the glibc 2.3.1 instructions *still* instruct the reader to
symlink these paths into "the 2.2 kernel sources". (See "Specific advice
for GNU/Linux systems" in INSTALL.) I'll happily submit a glibc bug
report, or documentation patches, or some such, just so long as someone
can give me answers which work both for the kernel and for the library.

MS Windows *is* user-friendly, but only for certain values of "user".