Re: [RFC] module fs or how to not break everything at once

From: Petr Vandrovec (vandrove@vc.cvut.cz)
Date: Wed Nov 20 2002 - 17:03:38 EST

On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 10:06:01PM +0100, Roman Zippel wrote:

> what a fool I am. ;-). ) OTOH it's pretty interesting to see that nobody
> seems to care, as the kernel loader is now in everybody's kernel and if
> everyone were happy, someone should be able tell me, why it should be kept
> in the kernel.

Nobody is answering for almost hour, so I'll do...

It was surprise to me that after patching about 100 lines in my
kernel I can live without modules ;-) I cannot redistribute it because
of vmmon/vmnet are linked directly to kernel, but it works. Maybe
I should be constructive, and update module-init-tools to fit my
needs (-p, -s; error messages from insmod going to screen and
not to the dmesg by default..., post-install/pre-install/post-remove/pre-remove
support in modprobe), but after comparing size of modutils and
module-init-tools I'll just leave this job to others: it looks like
fulltime job for couple of months.

> Below is a basic module fs implementation, which demonstrates an
> alternative way of managing modules. It's reduced to the most basic
> functionality needed to get modules working: map an object into kernel
> space and start/stop a module. Everything else can and should be done in
> user space. On top of this functionality it's easy to emulate the old
> system calls, so old insmod/rmmod work just fine. This allows now to write
> new module tools and when they are ready (this means we're also happy with
> the new module interface), we can drop all the old syscalls. The new

Nice, but...

> static ssize_t modfs_control_file_write(struct file *file, const char *buffer,
> size_t count, loff_t *ppos)
> {
> struct dentry *dentry;
> char *data;
>
> data = __getname();
> if (!data)
> return -ENOMEM;
> count = min(count, (size_t)PATH_MAX - 1);
> if (!copy_from_user(data, buffer, count)) {
> data[count] = 0;
> if (!strncmp(data, "map ", 4)) {

... now when we have setxattr() in kernel, what about using
setxattr() on module directory instead of separate control file?
I know, you cannot manage it with "echo" then, but it looks
strange that mkdir automatically creates control file while
rmdir does not remove it automatically... and without control
file, sys_delete_module() could then use simple setxattr/vfs_unlink/vfs_rmdir
instead of doing vfs's job by hand.

> down(&modfs_mount->mnt_sb->s_root->d_inode->i_sem);
> dentry = lookup_one_len(name, modfs_mount->mnt_sb->s_root, strlen(name));
> if (!IS_ERR(dentry)) {
> if (!dentry->d_inode)
> res = modfs_mkdir(modfs_mount->mnt_sb->s_root->d_inode, dentry, 0755);
> else
> res = -EEXIST;
> } else
> res = PTR_ERR(dentry);
> up(&modfs_mount->mnt_sb->s_root->d_inode->i_sem);

You are skipping security_ops hooks. Can you use vfs_mkdir() instead
of modfs_mkdir(), just to make sure that if someone adds some new
features into vfs_mkdir(), you'll not miss them ?

> asmlinkage long
> sys_delete_module(const char *name_user)
> {
> struct dentry *dentry;
> struct module_dir *moddir;
> char *name;
> long res = 0;
>
> if (!capable(CAP_SYS_MODULE))
> return -EPERM;
>
> if (!capable(CAP_SYS_MODULE))
> return -EPERM;

One pair of these lines is redundant...

And one minor comment: do you really need both module_dir->module
and module_data->module? Do you use it only to make sure that
sys_delete_module will not operate on modules not created by
sys_init_module?

It has unfortunate feature that sys_create_module();
sys_delete_module() (without suceeding sys_init_module between
them) will return -ENOENT, and you'll have to use rm/rmdir to get
rid of module :-(
                                        Thanks,
                                                Petr Vandrovec
                                                vandrove@vc.cvut.cz