Re: aic7xxx driver failing (2.4.19-ac4)

From: Raptorfan (raptorfan@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Nov 19 2002 - 20:45:46 EST

From: "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@scsiguy.com>
> Can you try to update your system with the driver version here:
> http://people.freebsd.org/~gibbs/linux/tarballs/aic79xx-linux-2.4.tar.gz
> The files are for the latest linux-2.4 tree, but should be easily
> modified to work with the kernel you are using.

A slight improvement: the kernel no longer oopses but still never completely
makes it thru boot.

I've attached the dmesg from the box at boot with the drivers compiled
in-kernel. The card appears to be detected, it appears to go through the IDs
and does find my devices but hangs after the last message. If I build the
driver as a module, the insmod hangs loading the module. Switching to
another terminal and viewing dmesg output show a similar message as
attached, except in this order:

- detection of the card ("scsi0: Adaptec AIC7XXX" etc etc)
- detection of the devices ("host 0 channel 0 id 2 lun 0\n Vendor:HP" etc
etc)
- ONE instance of the failed detection message

I waited for ~ 5 minutes before deciding the detection was dead and
rebooted. insmod was the still hung and a 'lsmod' showed the aic7xxx driver
stuck as '(initializing).'

.. but at least there's no more oops. :)

Also, I find it interesting my dat drive is discovered as ID2.. when it's
ID3. This is confirmed by visual check, the adaptec card's boot detection
and $OTHER_OS using the drive. The Zipdrive is at ID6 (and appears to be
detected correctly.

-r

ps.. thanks for the help so far.