Re: rpc.mountd problem in 2.5.48

From: Peter Chubb (peter@chubb.wattle.id.au)
Date: Tue Nov 19 2002 - 18:29:41 EST

Neil> On Tuesday November 19, peter@chubb.wattle.id.au wrote:
>> Hi, After installing 2.5.48, I see lots and lots of messages like
>> these: Nov 19 20:17:24 wombat rpc.mountd: authenticated mount
>> request from xterm.chubb.wattle.id.au:916 for
>> /usr/local/xenginenew/fonts/misc (/usr) Nov 19 20:17:24 wombat
>> rpc.mountd: getfh failed: Operation not permitted
>>
>> These weren't there in 2.5.44. What's changed?

Neil> Lots of stuff.... but nothing that I can connect this to. Also,
Neil> I cannot reproduce it.

>> xterm uses version 2 NFS; /etc/exports says: .. /usr
>> *.chubb.wattle.id.au(rw,sync,no_root_squash) .. /usr is ext2: $
>> mount /dev/sda5 on /usr type ext2 (rw)
>>

>> If I add the `insecure' option things work again; but this didn't
>> used to be necessary. And the log shows it coming in on port 916,
>> anyway.

Neil> I suspec that adding 'insecure' did not fix the problem, but
Neil> rather it was trying again that fixed the problem.

Removing `insecure' and doing exportfs -r -a brings the problem back
again.

Neil> Does /etc/exports have any exports to IP address rather than
Neil> hostname? Which version of nfs-utils are you using?

No. All the /etc/exports lines are in terms of *.chubb.wattle.id.au

I'm using the debian-packaged version 1.0.2-1 nfs-utils (which has
no patches over the source version).

There are correct forward and reverse entries for xterm in the DNS:

: wombat ; host xterm
xterm.chubb.wattle.id.au A 192.168.77.5

: wombat ; host 192.168.77.5
Name: xterm.chubb.wattle.id.au
Address: 192.168.77.5

It's only with xterm (which is a labtam/tektronix xterminal) that I
have a problem; other linux machines are fine.

Peter C