Re: Separate obj/src dir

From: Brian Jackson (brian-kernel-list@mdrx.com)
Date: Tue Nov 19 2002 - 15:51:54 EST

Sam Ravnborg writes:

<snip>
> Another drawback is that when a .h file exist in the
> SRCTREE but not in the OBJTREE the generated dependencies
> will point out the .h file located in SRCTREE.
> This happens for generated .h files, and therefore a simple
> check is made in kbuild to check that the SRCTREE is
> cleaned/mrpropered.

I wonder how hard it would be to do this for other files types. It would be
sort of handy to be able to copy a single file out of the source tree into
the build tree, and have the build use the copy in the build tree. Example:
you want to test a one liner in drivers/scsi/sd.c, you could just copy sd.c
into the build tree, and make the change and test it out. That could be a
huge space savings. That would help out those of us that are stuck with tiny
hard drives in our laptops :)

> kconfig did not have an option to read the Kconfig files +
> defconfig from somewhere else than current directory,
> therefore they are copied. But that should be trivial to do.
> Possible solutions:
> 1) Command line option:
> -r path-to-rrot-of-tree
> 2) Deduct it from the argument given, but then kconfig
> needs to know a bit too much about the kernel src tree.
> 3) Utilise the environment variable $(srctree), which is
> anyway valid.
>
> Comments expected...

Excellent, I never really thought about it until I read this email, but it
makes perfect sense(to me anyways).

> Sam

<snip>