Re: [ANNOUNCE][CFT] kexec for v2.5.48 && kexec-tools-1.7

From: Eric W. Biederman (ebiederm@xmission.com)
Date: Tue Nov 19 2002 - 05:13:37 EST

And you thought I was kidding when I said it was mostly working :)

> Between the NUMAQs and the big xSeries machines, we
> have a lot of slow rebooters. The 16GB intel boxes take at about 5 minutes to
> get back to the bootloader after a reboot, and the 4 and 8-quad NUMAQ's take
> closer to 10.

Wow. 10 minutes is a pain. That certainly explains your interest...

> The IBM machines I've tried it on are a 4-way and 8-way PIII. They both have
> aic7xxx cards and the 8-way has a ServeRAID 4 controller. They have a collection
>
> of acenic, e1000, pcnet32 and eepro100 net cards. All seem to work just fine.
>
> The NUMAQ is another story, though. I get nothing after "Starting new kernel".
> But, I wasn't expecting much. The NUMAQ is pretty weird hardware and god knows
> what is actually happening. I'll try it some more when I'm more confident in
> what I'm doing.

I suspect the hardware shutdown and start up logic for NUMAQ cpus needs some
special handling. Does kexec_test not print anything, or were you not patient
enough?

> What's the deal with "FIXME assuming 64M of ram"? I was a little surprised when
>
> my 16GB machine started to OOM as I did a "make -j8 bzImage" :) Why is it that
> you need the memory size at load time?

Small steps. When I bypass the BIOS I need to get all of the information
the kernel normally would get from the BIOS from someplace else. Currently
you can use the "mem= " kernel command line parameters. Of you can dig the
/proc/iomem and /proc/meminfo and other places and get the BIOS's memory map.
There isn't a really good source, so I started with something that would work,
and I will work the user space tools up to something that works well.

I will happily accept patches :)

Eric