Re: 8139too.c patch for kernel 2.4.19

From: Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@pobox.com)
Date: Mon Nov 18 2002 - 16:15:56 EST

Vergoz Michael wrote:

> >If you are seeing a problem, please describe in detail the problem so
> >that kernel developers may fix it in the current kernel's 8139too.c.
>

> * The problem is in packet recv, i'v to work this night to find what
> exactly
> is the problem

thanks!

> >>The driver 8139cp.c can be removed to the source entry.
> >

> >This is the preferred driver for the 8139C+ chip, as it included many
> >bug fixes and is much faster than the version from RealTek.
>

> * I will make a prupose to all linux kernel developers about that. I
> prefere
> to fix that problem before to prupose anything else :P

Certainly. Comments from all are welcome. Here is the general argument:

8139/A/B/C/D, 8100, 8139 rev K. are all supported by 8139too.

8139C+ is a totally different chip, and thus gets a totally different
driver. The realtek 8139C+ changes (which you posted) basically add a
totally different driver into the same source code. The only reason for
this is that PCI ID for 8139C+ is similar [differs on PCI Revision Id].

finally, I emailed my RealTek contact directly, and he said RealTek has
found no problems with 8139cp.c driver, and they support 8139cp's use.

Regards,

        Jeff