Re: PATCH: Recognize Tualatin cache size in 2.4.x

From: Ricardo Galli (gallir@uib.es)
Date: Mon Nov 18 2002 - 15:54:52 EST

On Monday 18 November 2002 20:02, Dave Jones shaped the electrons to shout:
> On Sun, Nov 17, 2002 at 04:55:22PM +0100, Ricardo Galli wrote:
> > Marcelo,
> > please attach this patch to recognise the Tualatin processors'
> > cache.
> >
> > I think this has been already discussed in the list, and DaveJ
> > also applied it in his tree and/or 2.5.x. It is documented by
> > Intel.
>
> I sent Marcelo a patch containing this and other IDs.
> He wants to take it for .21pre1
>
> It's purely cosmetic, so that's fine with me..

It's very cosmetic but very annoying for P3 > 1GHz, where Linux <= 2.4.20-preX
only reports 32 KB of cache and it also seems to ignore the "cachesize"
parameter. Perhaps it really uses 256KB, but not sure.

I tested it in a Compaq Proliant 330ML-G2 (P3 1.4) and a kernel compilation is
100% faster if the patch is applied.

Regards,

PS: Dave, see you in Mallorca in 20 days :-)

--
  ricardo galli       GPG id C8114D34