Re: 2.5.47 scheduler problems?

From: Mike Galbraith (EFAULT@gmx.de)
Date: Mon Nov 18 2002 - 05:52:58 EST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim Connors" <tconnors@astro.swin.edu.au>
To: "Mike Galbraith" <EFAULT@gmx.de>
Cc: <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>
Sent: Monday, November 18, 2002 8:53 AM
Subject: Re: 2.5.47 scheduler problems?

Setting
> > all tasks
> > regain
> > >
> > > Funny that.

> > heftily),
> > This
> > in
> > >
> > > Perhaps you should consider buying an extra 29 CPU's for you
desktop?

> > I have neither the need for 30 CPUs, nor the cash to pay for such a
> > beast :)
> >
> > I gather you think my test is silly?
>
> Well, yes, 30 processes at a time on a single CPU does seem a bit
silly -
> given that (under the old system), you would not expect X to get more
than
> 3% of the CPU time.

I don't try -j30 with X/KDE running.. that's much too heavy for my
little box. The whole point of doing -j30 on my box without X/KDE is
that it juuuust fills up capacity. It generally adds a minute to build
time despite quite hefty swapping. With aa kernels or heavily twiddled
stock kernels, it's more like 30 seconds. (with new gcc, -j30 is way
too much too.. oink oink;)

> Also sceduling normal processes (ie, not real-time processes) as
RR/FIFO
> seemed also pretty bad.

That was only to see if I _could_ get some CPU, and with (only:) 10
copies of gcc running.

> However....
>
> But I have to now admit that I haven't yet played with 2.5.47
seriously,
> and wansn't aware of the problems which Andrew just posted.
>
> mea culpa.
>

> --
> TimC -- http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/staff/tconnors/

    -Mike