Re: lan based kgdb

From: Werner Almesberger (wa@almesberger.net)
Date: Sun Nov 17 2002 - 20:10:45 EST

Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> Otherwise the concept gives me security nightmares.

Bah, there are a few Fundamental Truths of Networking Simplification
that we can absolutely rely on:

 - it is perfectly safe to require that a given port be connected only
   to a secure and trusted network
 - if you design a protocol not to work over a WAN, everybody will
   respect this, and deploy it only on LANs
 - if any of the above constraints is no longer tenable, people will
   carefully redesign the protocol in question, and replace the
   installed base
 - all LANs have simple, well-understood characteristics - now and
   forever

After all, SNMP, FSP, LANE, NAT, WEP, etc. can't be wrong (-:C

And yes, I can vividly imagine users of dedicated hosts rush to switch
on that remote console the very moment it becomes available, and use
it across half of the planet.

- Werner