Re: 2.[45] fixes for design locking bug in wait_on_page/wait_on_buffer/get_request_wait

From: Marc-Christian Petersen (m.c.p@wolk-project.de)
Date: Sun Nov 17 2002 - 12:37:00 EST

On Saturday 16 November 2002 22:55, Marc-Christian Petersen wrote:

Hi Andrea,

> Andrea, this makes a difference! The pausings are much less than before,
> but still occur. Situation below.
So, after some time in trying to exchange 2.4.20-rc2 files with the following
files from 2.4.18 (and compile successfully)

drivers/block/ll_rw_blk.c
drivers/block/elevator.c
include/linux/elevator.h

those "pauses/stopps" are _GONE_!

I've also tested all this situations with totally different mashines. No
changes, all behaves the same.

I am really afraid that no one else (seems so) noticed this but me! I cannot
believe that?! :-(

It is a really serious "bug" I cannot live with. Doing that high disk i/o and
even pings are ignored for the amount of time the stop occurs, is an
absolutely inacceptable situation! *imho*

What do you think? :-)

ciao, Marc