Re: 2.5: Help for choice questions doesn't work

From: Roman Zippel (zippel@linux-m68k.org)
Date: Sat Nov 16 2002 - 16:12:14 EST

Hi,

On Sat, 16 Nov 2002, Adrian Bunk wrote:

> In 2.5.47 the help for choice questions (e.g. "Processor family" or
> "High Memory Support" in the "Processor type and features" menu) doesn't
> work in "make menuconfig", there's always a "There is no help available
> for this kernel option." displayed.

Move the main help to the choice entry itself. All front ends expect the
help now there. E.g.

choice
        prompt "Processor family"
        default M686
        ---help---
          This is the processor type of your CPU. This information is used for
          optimizing purposes. In order to compile a kernel that can run on
          all x86 CPU types (albeit not optimally fast), you can specify
          "386" here.

The choice options can still have there own help entries, but only xconfig
makes use of it.
I didn't do this automatically, since most help text entries need to be
splitted somehow. I wanted to do this for a few common entries, but I
haven't found the time yet.

bye, Roman