Re: Why can't Johnny compile?

From: Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@pobox.com)
Date: Sat Nov 16 2002 - 16:04:05 EST

john slee wrote:

> >If people want to get rivafb or an ancient ISA net driver building
> >again... patches welcome. But I don't think calls for the kernel to
>

> yep, someone is maintaining ewrk3 again now :-), or at least i have seen
> a couple of patches submitted

hehe, yep, in fact there is an ewrk3 patch I still need to merge :)

> >compile 100 percent of the drivers is realistic or even reasonable.
> >Some of the APIs, particularly SCSI, are undergoing API stabilization.
>

> the api stabilization should have been happening months ago, in view of
> the october freeze

october freeze was for major features, not minor incremental tweaks...

> >And SCSI is an excellent example of drivers where
> >I-dont-have-test-hardware patches to fix compilation may miss subtle
> >problems -- and then six months later when the compileable-but-broken
> >SCSI driver is used by a real user, we have to spend more time in the
> >long run tracking down the problem.
>

> certainly, and sometimes i wonder if there could be a better way (than
> #error or #warning) to tag things as known broken. currently people use
> #error during compile, but i'd like to see it show up in menuconfig
> somehow.

I respectfully disagree... I think if these sort of FIXMEs show up in
menuconfig, you're not only cluttering up menuconfig, you also moving
past the level of programmer to the sysadmin/power-user level. That
seems like it would generate more bug reports than useful work.

About the only thing WRT menuconfig I would be ok with is commenting out
majorly broken drivers until they are fixed...

        Jeff