Re: lan based kgdb

From: Stelian Pop (stelian.pop@fr.alcove.com)
Date: Sat Nov 16 2002 - 12:21:00 EST

On Sat, Nov 16, 2002 at 09:23:41AM -0700, yodaiken@fsmlabs.com wrote:

> > > Here is the kgdb stub's "send a byte" function:
[...]
> > USB (with USB-to-serial adapter), network, ieee1394 would be
> > acceptable replacements for me.
>
> Have you ever looked at a USB or 1394 driver?

As a matter of fact, I did.

> The nice thing about
> serial is that the software to make it work is trivial. A debugger that
> relies on a 5000 line driver is quite suspect.

Agreed. But even a suspect debugger is preferable to no debugger at all.

Look, serial ports are becoming obsolete. We (not everybody but many
people) need kgdb.

The general oppinion seems to be that a mini network stack + a simple
network card driver is the easiest thing to implement (mostly because
already done). That's fine for me.

Stelian.

--
Stelian Pop <stelian.pop@fr.alcove.com>