Kernel Panic - Kernel or Hardware?

Date: Fri Nov 15 2002 - 06:24:37 EST

Hello,

I seem to have started getting a lot of kernel panic's on a box but am
not sure whether it's a kernel problem or a hardware problem.

It's a dual Celeron 500 in an Abit BP6 board with 640MB RAM and a 40GB
IDE HD. The HD is connected to the onboard UDMA interface (the A-bit
board has 2x normal ide channels and 2x udma channels with a HPT366
chipset).

2.4.40-rc1 with the new eepro100 driver seemed to happen every few
minutes so I recompiled it with the old eepro100 driver and it seemed
much better but died after a few hours of compiling. 2.4.19 seemed to do
the same.

All I could see in the log, is about the time it happened last was:

Nov 14 23:26:40 buzz kernel: hda: status error:
status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
Nov 14 23:26:40 buzz kernel: hda: drive not ready for command
Nov 14 23:28:47 buzz kernel: hda: status error:
status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
Nov 14 23:28:47 buzz kernel: hda: drive not ready for command
Nov 14 23:29:00 buzz kernel: APIC error on CPU0: 02(02)

The box always seems to respond to pings fine but I can not
ssh/telnet/anything else in and when I go to the console it's showing a
kernel panic and have to hard reset.

[ian@sooty:~]$ telnet 10.10.1.1
Trying 10.10.1.1...
Connected to 10.10.1.1.