An Analysis of BitKeeper and BitMover's Strategy

From: Shlomi Fish (shlomif@vipe.stud.technion.ac.il)
Date: Sat Nov 09 2002 - 05:18:24 EST

As part of the "Better SCM" site (that is still under construction), I
wrote a few essays about BitKeeper:

http://better-scm.berlios.de/bk/

I am a former user of BitKeeper and the bkbits.net service who used it for
maintaining the code of two of my pet projects. The articles include:

An analysis of the suitability of BitKeeper for Free Software Developers -
analyzes the product itself, the support given by BitMover, the BKBits.net
service and the license. Contains some tips for new users.

Why a change of the BitKeeper licensing would be a good idea (from
BitMover's POV) - a rational analysis why a change in BitMover's strategy
can yield them a greater advantage in the long run. (note that I do not
recommend completely Open-Sourcing it)

There's also an old and slightly deprecated article entitled "GPLing BK"
which gives several advantages that a more liberal BitKeeper license would
give BitMover. (it is deprecated because I no longer thing a complete
freeing would be a good idea at this point).

Comments, suggestions, corrections and flames are welcome.

Regards,

        Shlomi Fish