Crunch time -- Final merge candidates for 3.0 (the list).

From: Rob Landley (landley@trommello.org)
Date: Sun Oct 20 2002 - 18:49:23 EST

Okay, Linus has left for the Linux Lunacy Cruise (see www.geekcruises.com),
which ends october 27. When he gets back, he's implied that there will be
EXACTLY ONE more set of last minute merges before we switch over to the
3.0-pre (or 2.6-pre) series. Those of you waiting for the last minute: this
is it.

There are people patch-hoovering while Linus is off "lecturing" on a boat in
the carribean, but we don't know who those are, so that's not useful. What
IS useful is knowing what the candidate patches are. Not bug fixes, but new
features with one final shot at 2.5.45.

The October 19 entry from Guillaume Boissiere's 2.5 status list
(http://kernelnewbies.org/status/) has the following entries in the "ready
for merging" state:

o in -ac PCMCIA Zoom video support (Alan Cox)
http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0203.1/0326.html

o in -ac Device mapper for Logical Volume Manager (LVM2) (LVM2 team)
http://www.sistina.com/products_lvm.htm

o in -mm VM large page support (Many people)
http://lse.sourceforge.net/

o in -mm Page table sharing (Daniel Phillips, Dave McCracken)
http://www.geocrawler.com/mail/msg.php3?msg_id=7855063&list=35
(or possibly here:)
http://lists.insecure.org/lists/linux-kernel/2002/Oct/6446.html

o Ready - Build option for Linux Trace Toolkit (LTT) (Karim Yaghmour)
http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0204.1/0832.html

o Ready - Dynamic Probes (dprobes team)
http://oss.software.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/linux/projects/dprobes

o Ready - Zerocopy NFS (Hirokazu Takahashi)
http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0204.1/0429.html

o Ready - High resolution timers (George Anzinger, etc.)
http://high-res-timers.sourceforge.net/

o Ready - EVMS (Enterprise Volume Management System) (EVMS team)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/evms

o Ready - Linux Kernel Crash Dumps (Matt Robinson, LKCD team)
http://lkcd.sourceforge.net/

o Ready - Rewrite of the console layer (James Simmons)
http://linuxconsole.sourceforge.net/

To the above can be added the following recent submission on the list:

o Ready- Kexec, luanch ELF format linux kernel from Linux (Eric W. Biederman)
http://lists.insecure.org/lists/linux-kernel/2002/Oct/6584.html

That's currently it, that I'm aware of. If your patch isn't on that list, and
getting testing by people on linux-kernel (and getting a bunch of satisifed
users to go "worked for me!" at it), then you should speak up and GET it on
that list, or wait for the next development series.

When Linus comes back, at best he's going to give a thumbs up or thumbs down
to each patch currently sitting there in front of him, and then it's on to
the feature freeze. He may not take any of them, or he may just take one or
two. But the best we can hope to do is present him with a nice (short) list
of tested patches. (Remember, the less work Linus has to do, the higher the
percentage of it that will actually get done.)

So everybody, try the above patches. If they work for you, say so on this
list. It's no guarantee, but Linus has said endorsements from testers can
make him feel more comfortable about a patch. Possibly we can collect a list
of names of people for whom a patch "worked for me", to add to the list.

If your patch isn't on the list, speak out now. Better yet, post a URL to the
latest version. It's "show me the code" time. (Yes, Hans Reiser, this means
you. :) There are still 7 days till the end of Linus's cruise, but that's
not much time to get guinea pigs to publicly pipe up with a hearty "AOL!" of
support for your work...

Again, some of the things on this list won't make it into 3.0. It's just
candidates. But everything that is NOT on this list in about 7 days is
probably going to become 3.1 material by default.

Speak now, or till 3.1 hold your peace...

Rob

P.S. If somebody wants to put together a tree integrating some or all of the
above, ala Folk/Wolk, it might be useful for testing purposes. Good idea to
find conflicts now, eh?