patch management scripts

From: Andrew Morton (akpm@digeo.com)
Date: Sun Oct 20 2002 - 14:22:43 EST

I finally got around to documenting the scripts which I use
for managing kernel patches. See

http://www.zip.com.au/~akpm/linux/patches/patch-scripts-0.1/

These scripts are designed for managing a "stack" of patches against
a rapidly-changing base tree. Because that's what I use them for.

I've been using and evolving them over about six months. They're
pretty fast, and simple to use. They can be used for non-kernel
source trees.

The implementation is pretty agricultural - I only know how to
do three things in /bin/sh scripts and I'm not sure that I want
to learn #4, but patches are accepted.

Hopefully these will be useful to some people. I'd expect that the
ramp-up time is half an hour or so.

Here's the fine manual:

This is a description of a bunch of shell scripts which I use for
managing kernel patches. They are quite powerful. They can be used on
projects other than the linux kernel. They are easy to use, and fast.

You end up doing a ton of recompiling with these scripts, because
you're pushing and popping all the time. ccache takes away the pain of
all that. http://ccache.samba.org/ - be sure to put the cache
directory on the same fs as where you're working so that ccache can use
hardlinks.

The key philosophical concept is that your primary output is patches.
Not ".c" files, not ".h" files. But patches. So patches are the
first-class object here.

Concepts
========

All work occurs with a single directory tree. All commands are invoked
within the root of that tree. The scripts manage a "stack" of patches.

Each patch is a changeset against the base tree plus the preceding patches.

All patches are listed, in order, in the file ./series. You manage the
series file.

Any currently-applied patches are described in the file
./applied-patches. The patch scripts manage this file.

Each patch affects a number of files in the tree. These files are
listed in a "patch control" file. These .pc files live in the
directory ./pc/

Patches are placed in the directory ./patches/

Documentation for the patches is placed in ./txt/

So for a particular patch "my-first-patch" the following will exist:

- An entry "my-first-patch.patch" in ./series

- An entry "my-first-patch" in ./applied-patches (if it's currently applied)

- A file ./pc/my-first-patch.pc which contains the names of the
  files which my-first-patch modifies, adds or removes

- A file ./txt/my-first-patch.txt which contains the patch's
  changelog.

- A file ./patches/my-first-patch.patch, which is the output of the
  patch scripts.

Operation
=========

When a patch "my-patch" is applied with apatch, or with pushpatch
(which calls apatch), all the affected files (from ./pc/my-patch.pc)
are copied to files with ~my-patch appended. So if ./pc/my-patch.pc
contained

        kernel/sched.c
        fs/inode.c

then apatch will copy those files into kernel/sched.c~my-patch and
fs/inode.c~my-patch. It will then apply the patch to kernel/sched.c
and fs/inode.c

When a diff is regenerated by refpatch (which calls mpatch), the diff
is made between kernel/sched.c and kernel/sched.c~my-patch. How do the
scripts know to use "~my-patch"? Because my-patch is the current
topmost patch. It's the last line in ./applied-patches.

In this way, the whole thing is stackable. If you have four patches
applied, say "patch-1", "patch-2", "patch-3" and "patch-4", and if
patch-2 and patch-4 both touch kernel/sched.c then you will have:

        kernel/sched.c~patch-2 Original copy, before patch-2
        kernel/sched.c~patch-4 Copy before patch-4. Contains changes
                                        from patch-2
        kernel/sched.c Current working copy. Contains changes
                                        from patch-4.

This means that your diff headers contain "~patch-name" in them, which
is convenient documentation.

Walkthrough
===========

Let's start.

Go into /usr/src/linux (or wherever)

        mkdir pc patches txt

Now let's generate a patch

        fpatch my-patch kernel/sched.c

OK, we've copied kernel/sched.c to kernel/sched.c~my-patch. We've
appended "my-patch" to ./applied-patches and we've put "kernel/sched.c"
into the patch control file, pc/my-patch.pc.

        Now edit kernel/sched.c a bit.

Now we're ready to document the patch

        Now write txt/my-patch.txt

Now generate the patch

        refpatch

This will generate patches/my-patch.patch. Take a look.

Now remove the patch

        poppatch

applied-patches is now empty, and the patch is removed.

Now let's add a file to my-patch and then generate my-second-patch:

        Add "my-patch.patch" to ./series (no blank lines in that file please)

        pushpatch

OK, the patch is applied again. Let's add another file

        fpatch kernel/printk.c

Note that here we gave fpatch a single argument. So rather than
opening a new patch, it adds kernel/printk.c to the existing topmost
patch. That's my-patch.

        Edit kernel/printk.c

Refresh my-patch (you end up running refpatch a lot)

        refpatch

Now start a second patch:

        fpatch my-second-patch kernel/sched.c

Now take a look at applied-patches. Also do an `ls kernel/sched*'.

        Edit kernel/sched.c, to make some changes for my-second-patch

Generate my-second-patch:

        refpatch

Take a look in patches/my-second-patch.patch

Don't forget to add "my-second-patch.patch" to the series file.

And remove both patches:

        poppatch
        poppatch

That's pretty much it, really.

Command reference
=================

Generally, where any of these commands take a "patch-name", that can be
of the form txt/patch-name.txt, patch-name.pc, just patch-name or
whatever. The scripts will strip off a leading "txt/", "patches/" or
"pc/" and any trailing extension. This is so you can do

        apatch patches/a<tab>

to conveniently use shell tabbing to select patch names.

added-by-patch

  Some internal thing.

apatch [-f] patch-name

  This is the low-level function which adds patches. It does the
  copying into ~-files and updates the applied-patches file. It
  applies the actual patch.

  apatch will do a patch --dry-run first and will refuse to apply the
  patch if the dryrun fails.

  So when you are getting rejects you do this:

        pushpatch # This fails, due to rejects. Drat.
        apatch -f patch-name # Force the patch

  OK, you've now applied patch-name, but you have rejects. Go fix
  those up and do

        refpatch

  And you're ready to move on.

cvs-take-patch

  I forget.

fpatch [patch-name] foo.c

  If patch-name is given, fpatch will start a new patch which
  modifies (or adds, or removes) the single file foo.c. It updates
  ./applied-patches and creates pc/patch-name.pc. fpatch will copy
  foo.c to foo.c~patch-name in preparation for edits of foo.c.

  If patch-name is not given then fpatch will add foo.c to the
  current topmost patch. It will add "foo.c" to ./pc/$(toppatch).pc.
  It will copy foo.c to foo.c~$(toppatch).

inpatch

  List the names of ths files which are affected by the current
  topmost patch.

  This is basically

        cat pc/$(toppatch).pc

mpatch

  A low-level thing to generate patches

new-kernel

  Some thing I use for importing a new kernel from kernel.org

p0-2-p1

  Internal thing to convert patch -p0 form into patch -p1

patchdesc

  Generates a single-line description of a patch.

  The txt/my-patch.txt files have the following format:

  <start of file>
  DESC
  some short description
  EDESC

  The long description
  <end of file>

  I use

        patchdesc $(cat series)

  to generate short-form summaries of the patch series.

patchfns

  Internal utilities

pcpatch

  Standalone tool to generate a .pc file from a patch.

  Say someone sends you "his-patch.diff". What you do is:

        cp ~/his-patch.diff patches/his-patch.patch
        pcpatch his-patch

  This generates ./pc/his-patch.pc and you're all set. Add
  "his-patch.patch" to ./series in the right place and start pushing.

p_diff

  I forget

poppatch

  Remove one or more patches fro the current stack. This command
  does *not* use the series file. It works purely against
  applied-patches.

  Usage:

        poppatch
                Remove the topmost patch
        poppatch 10
                Remove ten patches
        poppatch some-patch-name[.patch]
                Remove patches until "some-patch-name" is top patch

ptkdiff

  Two modes:

        ptkdiff -

               Run tkdiff against all the file affected
               by $(toppatch). The diff is only for the changes made
               by the top patch! ie: it's between "filename" and
               "filename~toppatch-name".

        ptkdiff filename

               Just run tkdiff against that file,
               showing the changes which are due to toppatch.

pushpatch

  Apply the next patch, from the series file.

  This consults ./applied-patches to find out the top patch, then
  consults ./series to find the next patch. And pushes it.

    pushpatch

      Apply the next patch

    pushpatch 10

      Apply the next ten patches

    pushpatch some-patch-name

      Keep pushing patches until "some-patch-name" is toppatch

refpatch

    regnerates the topmost patch. Reads all the affected files
    from pc/$(toppatch).pc and diffs them against their tilde-files.

    Also pastes into the patch your patch documentation and
    generates a diffstat summary.

removed-by-patch

  Some thing.

rename-patch

  CVS rename for patches.

rolled-up-patch

  Bit of a hack. Is designed to generate a rolled-up diff of all
  currently-applied patches. But it requires a ../linux-2.x.y tree to
  diff against. Needs to be redone.

rpatch

  Internal command

split-patch

  Some thing someone write to split patches up. I don't use it.

toppatch

  Print the name of the topmost patch. From ./applied-patches

touched-by-patch patch-filename

  List the names of files which are affected by a diff.

unitdiff.py

  Rasmus Andersen's script to convert a diff into minimum-context
  form. This form has a better chance of applying if you're getting
  nasty rejects. But patch can and will make mistakes when fed
  small-context input.

Work Practices
==============

I keep the kernel tree, the ./pc/, ./patches/ and ./txt/ contents under
CVS control. This is important...

I have several "series" files. I keep these in ./pc/foo-series and use

        ln -s pc/foo-series series

when I'm working on foo.

If someone sends me a patch I'll do:

        cp ~/whatever patches/his-patch.patch
        pcpatch his-patch
        apatch his-patch

  If apatch fails then run `apatch -f his-patch' and fix the rejects.

        refpatch

  to clean up any fuzz.

        poppatch
        cvs add pc/his-patch.pc patches/his-patch.patch
        cvs commit pc patches

  Now edit ./series and place "his-patch.patch" in the appropriate place.

If you're working on a particular patch (say, "dud-patch") and you
balls something up, just run:

        refpatch # Generate the crap patch
        poppatch # Remove it all
        rm patches/dud-patch.patch
        cvs up patches/dud-patch.patch

and all is well.

Getting updates from Linus
==========================

What I do is to grab the latest -bk diff from
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/dwmw2/bk-2.5/
and do:

        gzip -d < cs<tab> > patches/linus.patch
        pcpatch linus
        apatch linus | grep diff

               Now fix up all the files which got deleted,
               because there's something wrong with bitkeeper diffs:

        cvs up -ko <missing files from the above diff>

        apatch linus
        $EDITOR linus/linus.txt

                Add the changeset number to txt/linus.txt

        refpatch
        poppatch

  Now add "linus.patch" as the first entry in your ./series file and
  start pushing your other patches on top of that.

BUGS
====

Tons and tons. The scripts are fragile, the error handling is ungraceful and
if you do something silly you can end up in a pickle.

Generally the scripts are very careful to not wreck your files or your
patches. But they can get the ./applied-patches and ~-files into an
awkward state.

Usually you can sort it out by copying the ~-files back onto the originals
and removing the last line from ./applied-patches. Or do a "refpatch ;
poppatch ; rm patches/troublesome-patch.patch ; cvs up patches".

If it's really bad, just blow away the entire tree and do a new CVS checkout.

Working on non-kernel projects
==============================

Well it's the same thing. Say you've downloaded a copy of util-linux
and you want to make a change:

        cd /usr/src
        tar xvfz ~/util-linux.tar.gz
        cd util-linux
        mkdir pc patches txt
        fpatch my-patch sys-utils/rdev.c
        fpatch sys-utils/ipcs.8
        <edit, edit>
        refpatch
        <ship patches/my-patch.patch>

How to balls things up
======================

Well here's one way. Suppose you have 20 patches applied, and three of
them (say, "p1", "p6" and "p11") all modify "foo.c".

Now you go and change foo.c.

Well, to which patch does that change belong? You need to decide.
Let's say you decide "p6".

If you run `refpatch' when "p11" is toppatch then you lose. The diff
went into p11.

What you can do is:

1:
        poppatch p6
        <edit>
        refpatch
        pushpatch p11
        <test>

  (See why ccache is looking good?)

or

2:
        <edit>
        <test>
        poppatch p6 <hope like hell that the other patches remove cleanly>
        refpatch

Another good way of ballsing up is to cheat. Say "oh I just want to make
this one-line change". And "oh, and this one".

Now you're getting in a mess. It's much, much better to just use the system:

        fpatch junk file1
        fpatch file2
        <edit>
        <play>
        refpatch
        poppatch
        rm pc/junk.pc patches/junk.patch

Merging with -mm kernels

Haven't tried this, but it should work:

- Grab all the patches from broken-out/, place them in your ./patches/

- Copy my series file into ./series (or ./pc/akpm-series and symlink it)

- pushpatch 99

And you're off and running. The nice thing about this is that you can
send me incremental diffs to diffs which I already have.

Or whatever. I'm fairly handy with diffs nowadays. Rejects are
expected. I just prefer to have "one concept per diff".