Re: 2.5.44: problemn when shutting down, drivers/base/power.c and the global_device_list

From: ALESSANDRO.SUARDI (ALESSANDRO.SUARDI@oracle.com)
Date: Sat Oct 19 2002 - 20:39:44 EST

> When I shut my system down, the last line I saw was
>
> Shutting down devices.
> I've hacked drivers/base/power.c:device_shutdown() like this:

[snip]

My own system (Dell Latitude CPx750J laptop, RH7.3 base) has 'reboot'
 segfaulting and (thanks to kksymoops :) this info, hand copied from the
 dead monitor:

EFLAGS: 00010286
EIP is at device_shutdown + 0x6d/0xa2

(didn't write registers down - call trace w/o addresses follows)

sys_reboot
handle_mm_fault
do_page_fault
sock_destroy_inode
destroy_inode
dput
__fput
filp_close
sys_close
syscall_call

I can provide further info / try debugging (but I won't necessarily be
 speedy in responding, sorry). This 2.5.44 is built with GCC 3.2.

Thanks,

--alessandro