2.4.18 smc-ultra transmit timeouts

From: Ted Kaminski (mouschi@wi.rr.com)
Date: Sat Oct 12 2002 - 22:33:25 EST

And of course, I bother you all again.. ;) Please CC me in replies

On an older system (with a vanilla 2.4.18 kernel and the smc ultra ethernet
card on the ISA bus, no pnp) I get the following errors after modprobe'ing
the driver (smc-ultra, no options) and attempting to get a dhcp lease...
(dhcpcd)

smc-ultra.c: No SMC Ultra card found (i/o = 0x12c).
smc-ultra.c: Presently autoprobing (not recommended) for a single card.
smc-ultra.c: No ISAPnP cards found, trying standard ones...
smc-ultra.c:v2.02 2/3/98 Donald Becker (becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov)
eth0: SMC Ultra at 0x300, 00 00 C0 2F FC B0, IRQ 10 memory 0xcc000-0xcffff.
eth0: interrupt from stopped card
NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out
eth0: Tx timed out, lost interrupt? TSR=0x3, ISR=0x3, t=410.

followed by numerous more timeout errors looking pretty similiar. The IO
and IRQ detected are accurate, as I have it set to those via jumper.

I'm at a loss about this one... other information I can provide:
/proc/interrupts makes no mention of the smc ethernet card... The cable is
fine (link lights on router and card are on). The BIOS of the system is a
nice simple one from 1992, so nothing about IRQ routing, etc...

...?
 - Ted