2.5.42 broke ARM zImage/Image

From: Russell King (rmk@arm.linux.org.uk)
Date: Sat Oct 12 2002 - 06:32:56 EST

Hi,

I'm trying to get 2.5.42 to build on ARM, and I've finally run out of
ideas for things to try to get arch/arm/boot/Makefile and
arch/arm/boot/compressed/Makefile to work correctly.

What I'm seeing is:

/home/rmk/bin/arm-linux-ld -p -X -T vmlinux.lds head.o misc.o piggy.o /home/rmk/arm-linux/lib/gcc-lib/arm-linux/2.95.3/libgcc.a -o vmlinux
/home/rmk/bin/arm-linux-ld:vmlinux.lds:14: parse error
make[2]: *** [vmlinux] Error 1
make[1]: *** [compressed/vmlinux] Error 2
make: *** [zImage] Error 2

This appears to be because ZRELADDR is not passed from arch/arm/boot/Makefile
to arch/arm/boot/compressed/Makefile. You may think this is fairly trivial
to fix, just export it. However, it is already exported with a bunch of
other symbols. Other symbols seem to make it through to compressed/Makefile
though.

I've tried many things, like including $(TOPDIR) Rules.make at the top of
arch/arm/boot/Makefile, but this doesn't seem to make any difference what
so ever.

Help!

Unless this can be solved, I'm going to be pushing _compile only_ tested
stuff to Linus in the forthcoming weeks until someone can provide some
hints as to what and why this broke.

--
Russell King (rmk@arm.linux.org.uk)                The developer of ARM Linux