Patch: linux-2.5.41/drivers/ide - build IDE as a module

From: Adam J. Richter (adam@yggdrasil.com)
Date: Thu Oct 10 2002 - 08:44:58 EST

        The following patch seems to fix building IDE as a module
in 2.5.41. I am running this code on the machine that I'm using to
compose this email.

        A couple of notes:

        1. For the time being, I have reassembled some of the
drivers/ide object files into ide-mod.o again, because there are some
circular references (not necessarily a bad thing) that modprobe cannot
otherwise handle. For now, this includes putting ide-probe in
ide-mod.

        2. I have changed cmd640.o and legacy.o from dep_bool to
dep_tristate and made them also depend on $CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE, so
that they will only be offered as modules if ide-mod.o is a
module (since, like any IDE driver, they require some symbols in
ide-mod.o).

        These changes are probably not perfect, but I think they
should be an improvement with no real disadvantages in comparison to
what they replace, so I would encourage you to integrate the changes
if you see no problem. Please let me know what you want to do, or if
there is something more you'd like me to do regarding this patch.

--
Adam J. Richter     __     ______________   575 Oroville Road
adam@yggdrasil.com     \ /                  Milpitas, California 95035