Re: BK is *evil* corporate software [was Re: New BK License Problem?]

From: Mark Mielke (mark@mark.mielke.cc)
Date: Wed Oct 09 2002 - 23:56:44 EST

On Thu, Oct 10, 2002 at 12:16:48AM -0400, Derek D. Martin wrote:
> At some point hitherto, Mark Mielke hath spake thusly:
> > Hardware costs are nothing really. The true killer with ClearCase is
> > the support costs. Not only do you need several full time people to
> > deal with user problems, you need several full time people to
> > customize your solution such that it meets your needs, several full
> > time people to baby the servers, and a whole management structure on
> > top to ensure that the full time people talk to each other, and the
> > actual users.
> I'd have to disagree... though it probably depends on your environment
> a great deal, and possibly how braindead your development team and/or
> your sysadmin team is. At a previous job, I was one of two system
> administrators that supported ClearCase in our Solaris environment for
> about 100 engineers. That is, there were two of us, and I never

I may be talking about a company with 5000+ designers using ClearCase
with many sites around the world... :-)

mark

--
mark@mielke.cc/markm@ncf.ca/markm@nortelnetworks.com __________________________

One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them, one ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them...

http://mark.mielke.cc/