Re: capable()-function

From: Tony Glader (Tony.Glader@blueberrysolutions.com)
Date: Wed Oct 09 2002 - 13:39:18 EST

On Wed, 9 Oct 2002, Chris Wright wrote:

> > I was investigating problems with PCMCIA and found that
> > capable(CAP_SYS_ADMIN) returns always false in my case. If I'm calling
> Typically root has all effective capabilities (except CAP_SETPCAP).
> You can check your effective capabilities in /proc/[pid]/status.

In this case capable() call has been made from a kernel module. I think a
module doesn't have a PID? Should I check capabilites of program that does
a ioctl() call that will cause module to do capable() checking?

Process that does ioctl() call is owned by root and has following
capabilities:

CapInh: 0000000000000000
CapPrm: 00000000fffffeff
CapEff: 00000000fffffeff

I think there are at least CAP_SYS_ADMIN capability.

--
* Tony Glader