Re: linux kernel conf 0.8

From: Sam Ravnborg (sam@ravnborg.org)
Date: Wed Oct 09 2002 - 12:16:00 EST

On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 02:01:50PM +0200, Roman Zippel wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Oct 2002, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > Some things made me go eww (but on the whole details):
> >
> > - I'd prefer the Config.in name, since this has nothing to do with
> > building, and everything to do with configuration.

Another suggestion about naming:
Take for example drivers/net:
cat Config.* | wc => 2149 lines

A bit a structure could be needed here.
Net.conf <= Name equals directory with upper-case first letter
        - Cover the whole directory, and either implicit
          or explicit include other .conf files in that directory
3c5xx.conf <= All the configuration for the 3c5xxx chipset drivers
rrunner.conf <= All configuration for rrunner driver

So letting the naming convention be directory name with upper-case start
letter - as the entry to a directory.
Additional configuration in sensibly named configuration files.
I do not see the split of configuration happen before 2.6, except in
some special cases though. But I wanted to let the naming convention
support that.

source statements could look like:
source driver/net <= since Net.conf is implicit
But I would prefer the files spelled out.

> On Tue, 8 Oct 2002, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > - I assume that the scripts are generated from the current Config.in
> > and Config.help files, and it would make me slightly happier to see the
> > diff as a "automatic script" + "diff to fix it up", just for doc
> > purposes.
>
> All this is in the archive.

Keep both versions please. It's much easier just to apply a patch,
but I see why Linus ask for the other solution.
I know what version has preference ;-)

        Sam