Re: Loading init and ld.so.1 for Coldfire V4e

From: Erik Andersen (andersen@codepoet.org)
Date: Tue Oct 08 2002 - 16:40:44 EST

On Tue Oct 08, 2002 at 03:54:15PM -0400, Kent Borg wrote:
> I am trying to get Linux working on a Coldfire V4e (no, they don't
> exist yet in the outside world). This is kind of an m68k, but being a
> Coldfire, it is a subset of the old m68k. This is a Coldfire, but
> being new and spiffy, it has an MMU (32 instruction TLB entries, 32
> data TLB entries).

cool. I didn't realize there were any mmu-full Coldfire chips
in progress. nice!

> Does anyone have a pointer to something I can read to tell me a bit of
> how programs load, what ld.so.1 does, etc? I am in the midst of elf
> headers, I see ld.so.1 being opened, I see sections with various
> addresses flying by, and I end up trying to execute an address that is
> not executable, only read-write. It is possible that stuff really is

I have some test stuff I use when bringing up new arches with
uClibc that can tell you if you are getting into user space
correctly. But before messing with shared libraries, I _highly_
recommend you start with a simple staticly linked "hello world"
app for /sbin/init. Only when that is working properly should
you begin messing with shared libs.

> percolating correctly from vma's to page tables, it is possible stuff
> really is percolating correctly from page tables to TLBs. It is

For with bugs, nothing is impossible...

 -Erik