Re: kbuild news

From: Pete Zaitcev (zaitcev@redhat.com)
Date: Tue Oct 08 2002 - 15:25:04 EST

> Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2002 13:11:00 -0700 (PDT)
> From: "David S. Miller" <davem@redhat.com>

> From: Pete Zaitcev <zaitcev@redhat.com>
> Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 10:42:40 -0400
>
> Let's face it, both btfixup and kallsyms "want" to be the last,
> so something has to give.
>
> No, btfixup does not care about anything that will go into
> kallsyms.o, no BTFIXUP objects may appear in kallsyms.
>
> So btfixup may be next to last just fine.

This is very unfortunate, because it invalidates the workaround
where I moved btfixup to "make image" stage. Unles Kai is willing
to change the way the dependencies are handled, I'm stuck.
I am talking about breaking up this:

$(sort $(vmlinux-objs)): $(SUBDIRS) ;

To make every single object (including head.o) on every other
subdirectory (even benign ones) seems a little fishy.

-- Pete