Re: bcopy()

From: Kai Henningsen (kaih@khms.westfalen.de)
Date: Tue Oct 08 2002 - 14:03:00 EST

stan@ccs.neu.edu (Stan Bubrouski) wrote on 07.10.02 in <3DA1D2ED.6060305@ccs.neu.edu>:

> Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > On Mon, 7 Oct 2002, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> >
> >>The lowlevel XFS code tries to stay in sync as much as possible with
> >>the IRIX codebase to make maintaince easier (we're a very small team..).
> >

> > Could somebody drag the Irix team kicking and screaming into the 1980's,
> > please?
> >

> If it were that simple I'm sure it would have been done long
> ago, no?

How can it *not* be that simple?

No matter if you think bcopy should work for overlapping memory or not,
there is a replacement standard function (by the 1989 ANSI C standard, so
maybe the 1980's are not quite modern enough) that does exactly that, with
nothing but rearranged parameters.

That's a purely mechanical change, on the same level as the kernel janitor
stuff - hell, easier than the kernel janitor stuff.

I expect the reason it hasn't been done in Irix kernel code is simly that
there was no real need to do it. I certainly do not imagine there's
anything *hard* about it.

Hell, you could just use the #define method to map an XFS memcpy (or
memmove) onto the Irix kernel library bcopy!

No, this is politics, not technical. (On both sides, of course.)

MfG Kai