Re: Linux 2.5.41-ac1

From: Kai Germaschewski (kai@tp1.ruhr-uni-bochum.de)
Date: Tue Oct 08 2002 - 10:49:50 EST

On Tue, 8 Oct 2002, Adrian Bunk wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Oct 2002, James Bottomley wrote:
>
> > bunk@fs.tum.de said:
> > > make[1]: *** No rule to make target `arch/i386/mach-voyager/
> > > trampoline.o', needed by `arch/i386/mach-voyager/built-in.o'. Stop.
> > > make: *** [arch/i386/mach-voyager] Error 2
> >
> > That one's pulled in from ../kernel by the vpath in mach-voyager (or should
> > be). It builds for me, so it could be the version of make you are using?
>
> Ah, then Kai's changes to the build system in 2.5.41 broke it.
>
> Kai, what's the recommended way to get this working again?

Well, don't use vpath in the kernel Makefiles ;)

To restore the previous state, just do

obj-y += ... ../kernel/trampoline.o

However, why don't you just set CONFIG_X86_SMP when CONFIG_VOYAGER is
selected, which would be cleaner anyway?

Compiling the same file from different subdirs depending on .config is
surely a recipe for confusion.

--Kai