Re: EVMS breaking menuconfig in 2.5.40?

From: Kevin Corry (corryk@us.ibm.com)
Date: Mon Oct 07 2002 - 09:30:20 EST

On Monday 07 October 2002 00:28, GrandMasterLee wrote:
> I got EVMS from cvs, found the 2.5.40 patch, applied it, then attempted
> to do make menuconfig.
>
> All that happens is this:
>
> [austin@UberGeek linux-2.5.40]$ make menuconfig
> make[1]: Entering directory `/data/build/linux-2.5.40/scripts'
> make -C lxdialog all
> make[2]: Entering directory `/data/build/linux-2.5.40/scripts/lxdialog'
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/data/build/linux-2.5.40/scripts/lxdialog'
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/data/build/linux-2.5.40/scripts'
> /bin/sh ./scripts/Menuconfig arch/i386/config.in
> Using defaults found in .config
> Preparing scripts: functions, parsing

It sounds like you added the EVMS common-files patch but not the actual EVMS
code. This will cause the kernel config to break, since it can't find the
file drivers/evms/Config.in.

If you want to build the latest EVMS kernel code from CVS, please see
http://evms.sf.net/install.html (last section).

> and then my console becomes unuseable, I can't even ssh in from another
> box, then X dies eventually.
>
> If I hit and hold ctrl-c for a few seconds after this begins, I can
> usually break out, but if I miss it, then well, X blows up pretty good.

This doesn't make much sense. When I reproduce the above situation, all I get
is an error from awk, and then make quits with an error. I can't imagine why
it would cause your X server to blow up.

--
Kevin Corry
corryk@us.ibm.com