strange smp problem with 2.4.19 not seen with rc1

From: Harald van Pee (pee@iskp.uni-bonn.de)
Date: Mon Oct 07 2002 - 14:27:25 EST

I use two programs, the first one writes to a pipe, the other reads from it
(houndreds of MB).

I have no problem with kernel 2.4.19-rc1 smp,
but with 2.4.19 (smp) the program stops (I don't know why, but it seems its
always at the same file position).
I can kill the start script and the reading program, but the writing one
leaves in D state.

ps -eo cmd,wchan

reports wchan lock_page.
(can't reproduce the details because its a production system and I have
switched back to 2.4.19-rc1).

I have seen this problem only with smp machines and smp kernel versions.
It makes no difference if I run the kernel on an Asus A7M266-D or
a supermicro P3TDE6. The none smp Version of 2.4.19 have no problem on single
processor boards.

The system itself is very stable! Both have 3ware controlers, but on the Asus
board the 3ware disks are not mounted and not used.
I use the same .config file for 2.4.19-rc1 and 2.4.19

My questions are:
- Is it a known problem and fixed?
- Is it possible that I have a missconfigured kernel if its stable and I use
the same .config file as for 2.4.19-rc1?
- Which kernel version should I use?

Regards
Harald