Re: New BK License Problem?

From: Craig Dickson (crdic@pacbell.net)
Date: Mon Oct 07 2002 - 12:18:12 EST

Larry McVoy wrote:

> It always was and always will be a feature that it is easy to get in
> and get *out* of BK. We may be pains in the butt on the license front
> but once you are using BK, if you have to get the data out, BK makes
> that as pleasant as can possibly be made.

This is all very well, but is this not something that might change if
someone else were to come into control of the company? It isn't hard to
imagine some future BitMover CEO with a more Microsoft-like mentality
looking at the product and thinking, "This 'ease of getting data out'
has to go -- we need to make it less convenient for our customers to
defect."

It is a general problem with power that you have to worry not just about
whether those who currently wield it will abuse it, but also their
successors.

Craig