Re: The end of embedded Linux?

From: David S. Miller (davem@redhat.com)
Date: Mon Oct 07 2002 - 05:36:44 EST

   From: "" <simon@baydel.com>
   Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 11:06:03 +0100

   No one else can run these drivers so
   how could I expect someone else to maintain them ?

This is a common misconception. When sweeping API changes
are made to fix some bug or whatever, if your driver is in
the tree the person making the API change will update your
driver or add a comment saying "the new API does this, I
couldn't figure out how to do that with your driver, please
update" in a comment.

You get free work like this just as a side effect of being
in the tree.

It will also be sanity build checked by lots of people who
run the current kernels through a "enable everything" configuration.

   However I can not understand how it would be practical for many
   organizations to release code under the GPL for specific hardware.

See above.

   This to some companies is too much to give
   away. Perhaps someone could educate me on this point ?

You talked about an interrupt controller, a serial port, lack of VGA,
and lack of RTC on your system... doesn't sound like any ground
breaking hardware to me.

Franks a lot,
David S. Miller
davem@redhat.com