Re: Update on e1000 troubles (over-heating!)

From: Ben Greear (greearb@candelatech.com)
Date: Sun Oct 06 2002 - 22:46:42 EST

jamal wrote:

> It seems like the prerequisite to reproduce it is you beat the NIC heavily
> with a lot of packets/sec and then run it at that sustained rate for at
> least 30 minutes. isci would tend to use MTU sized packets which will
> not be that effective.

I can reproduce my crash using mtu sized pkts running only 50Mbps send + receive
on 2 nics. It took over-night to do it though. Running as hard as I can with
MTU packets will crash it as well, and much quicker.

Interestingly enough, the tg3 NIC (netgear 302t), registered 57 deg C between
the fins of it's heat sink in the 32-bit slots. Makes me wonder if my PCI bus
is running too hot :P

Dave says I'm wierd and no one else sees these bizarre problems, btw :)

More trouble-shooting to follow this next week.

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com>       <Ben_Greear AT excite.com>