Re: New BK License Problem?

From: Hans Reiser (reiser@namesys.com)
Date: Sun Oct 06 2002 - 18:22:43 EST

Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:

>In article <Pine.LNX.4.44.0210061718370.9062-100000@localhost.localdomain>,
>Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu> wrote:
>

>>so BK cannot be used to access the kernel tree in that case, correct? I'm
>>just wondering where the boundary line is. Eg. if i started working on a
>>versioned filesystem today, i'd not be allowed to use BK. I just have to
>>keep stuff like that in mind when using BK.
>>

>And what if that versioning filesystem got accepted into mainline?
>Every kernel developer would have to buy a BK license.
>
>Either that or a versioning filesystem cannot get into mainline.
>Sorry Hans, no reiser4 in the kernel.
>
>Mike.
>
>-

reiser4 will not contain version control. I don't know when version
control will go into ReiserFS. I do think it should go in eventually
though, as it makes distributed filesystems more effective if there is
version control functionality. We would do something that in no way
resembled BK. We would do it after implementing the core distributed
tree algorithms. Probably not going to happen in less than 3-5 years.
 Unless I became a much larger business, it would not have the fancy gui
and all that, and it would not really be targeted at source code, it
would be targeted at distributed file system users and applications. It
would handle source code only as an accidental side effect. I don't
find the version control for programmers market nearly as interesting as
the version control for distributed/disconnected filesystem users
market. Probably Larry could buy a license from us for it, and then do
his source code targeted stuff on top of it.;-)

But hey, talk to Josh Macdonald, the author of PRCS. If he wants to
code it, I'll pay for his time to do it. Right now, I think he is
recovering from the stress of working on reiser4, and last we spoke he
was more interested in doing key based file system security models than
in adding version control to reiser5.

There are so many features missing from ReiserFS, and I am not really
picky about what order they go in..... With Reiser4 we finally have
storage layer performance "good enough for now", and now we can focus on
semantic features and fun/easy stuff for a few years.

Hans