Re: BK MetaData License Problem?

From: Larry McVoy (lm@bitmover.com)
Date: Sun Oct 06 2002 - 17:49:18 EST

On Sun, Oct 06, 2002 at 01:45:04PM -0400, Jes Sorensen wrote:
> I have no issue with a company like BM or anyone else using anonymous
> statistics for advertisement, but I'd be royally pissed if I had my
> name on someone's leaflet without having given my written permission
> first. Hence the suggestion for a privacy clause in the license.

OK, so find some legal language that does what you want and send it to me.
If it doesn't prevent the openlogging web pages or the bkbits.net web pages
and bkd ports, we'll add it. We don't do a darn thing with that info,
I hear, understand, and agree with your concern, I just need some sample
language that threads the needle.

All the language I've seen would prevent us from displaying the web pages.
That's no good. We can't say we won't redistribute because the web pages
are definitely redistribution. We can say we won't sell it if that helps.
If we say we can't aggragate it then we can't do stuff like this:

        http://www.bitkeeper.com/stats/linux-csets-L3W.png

which is something we'd like to make part of bkbits.net. And I think it's
something that the community wants.

So what's the language that says we won't do the spam style crud that you
are legitimately afraid of but does allow the useful stuff for the
community? It's good to handle this now, if we can get it nailed down
to something reasonable it's hard for BitMover the corporation to lose
its mind and change things later, you can argue fair use or breach of
promise or one of those lovely legal terms, I don't remember which
covers this, but I know there is one.

--
---