Re: Hangs in 2.4.19 and 2.4.20-pre5 (IDE-related?)

From: Jan-Hinnerk Reichert (jan-hinnerk_reichert@hamburg.de)
Date: Sun Oct 06 2002 - 14:56:43 EST

Am Sonntag, 6. Oktober 2002 18:25 schrieb Alan Cox:
> On Sun, 2002-10-06 at 15:08, Jan-Hinnerk Reichert wrote:
> > I have 2.4.19 without any patches, three ide harddrives, no CD-ROM.
> > I quite like the data on my machine, so I won't install an 2.4.20-pre on
> > it ;-(
>
> 2.4.20pre has the same IDE code as 2.4.19, plus some PCI layer not IDE
> layer changes to support i845 systems

Thanks, I didn't knew that.

Anyway, could the new PCI layer increase IDE-DMA stability on systems other
than i845?

BTW: I forgot to mention that I have an PIIX3 board with K5PR166 .

PIIX3 has been somewhat shaky through the whole 2.4 kernel series, but the DMA
timeouts I get on my machine with 2.4.19 are significantly less than with
2.4.17 (only one every few days). The non-DMA transferrate has also increased
to normal levels.

I have again taken a look at the changelog for 2.4.20-pre8-ac1. It has some
entries related to IDE. Some are cleanups, some are DMA related.

So how are the chances that things get better or worse, when switching to
2.4.20?

Is there anything I can do to help tracking this error down, without diving
too deep into the kernel sources?

One crash every month is acceptable for me (much better than any M$-experience
I ever had), but somehow it is not satisfying ;-(

 Jan-Hinnerk