Re: New BK License Problem?

From: Alexandre Dulaunoy (alex@conostix.com)
Date: Sun Oct 06 2002 - 10:39:36 EST

On Sun, 6 Oct 2002, Larry McVoy wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 06, 2002 at 05:22:33PM +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> > in no way - but it would be a (small) incentive for them to open-source
> > their kernel mods. Which would also enable you to use the technology. Ie.
> > potentially good for you.
>
> We're not interested in ClearCase technology, no company makes advances by
> trying to chase the leader. You lead by leading, not catching up.

You cut off this part from Ingo Molnar :

> so BK cannot be used to access the kernel tree in that case, correct?
> I'm just wondering where the boundary line is. Eg. if i started
> working on a versioned filesystem today, i'd not be allowed to use
> BK. I just have to keep stuff like that in mind when using BK.

Is it true ? The legal issue around is quite difficult to calculate
and generate a classical problem of exclusion around the four freedoms
of Free Software. (and so the GNU General Public License)

In that case, your proprietary software cannot be used to produce
Free Software licensed under the GNU General Public License. As in
#6: "You may not impose any further restrictions on the recipients'
exercise of the rights granted herein."

If the case explained by Ingo Molnar, you are adding further
restrictions. (in the case of the Linux Kernel, they are contributors
(so also recipients of the rights of the GNU GPL) using your
proprietary software license to produce Free Software licensed under
GNU GPL)

If this is correct, this is an important issue.

Maybe we should forward the issue to the FSF for clarification ?

Thanks.

adulau

--
						    Alexandre Dulaunoy
  3B12 DCC2 82FA 2931 2F5B 709A 09E2 CD49 44E6 CBCD  ---   AD993-6BONE