Re: BK MetaData License Problem?

From: jw schultz (jw@pegasys.ws)
Date: Sun Oct 06 2002 - 07:35:43 EST

Please learn how to use the carriage return.

On Sun, Oct 06, 2002 at 01:18:10PM +0100, jbradford@dial.pipex.com wrote:
> > BitMover et al. can't take your copyright powers away
> > from you.
>
> No, but since you own the copyright, you can give rights
> to the material to the operator of the Open Logging
> server.
>
> Why don't we have a system whereby we automatically assign
> copyright to one person, (I.E. Linus), who can then assign
> us GPL rights in return, so that by submitting material to
> any server, we are not able to assign anything other than
> GPL rights to it's owner.

For good or ill by having the copyrights not held by one
person but instead held by so many is that no-one can
arbitrarily change the license or relicense under other
terms without the permission of all of the copyright
holders. However much you might trust Linus, do you want to
trust his grandchildren? Or the foundation after corporate
interests have subverted it?

> This is, I believe, although I could be wrong, the reason
> that the Free Software Foundation allows you to assign
> copyrights to them.

The reason to assign your copyright to the FSF is to give
them standing in court to defend the copyright.

	email address:		jw@pegasys.ws