Re: New BK License Problem?

From: Ingo Molnar (mingo@elte.hu)
Date: Sun Oct 06 2002 - 06:24:25 EST

On Sun, 6 Oct 2002, David S. Miller wrote:

> Larry talked about some sort of
> guarantees that involve GPL-ing of BK code 1-2 years after it's first
> used by the kernel, to make sure the Linux kernel tree is not left
> in limbo.
>
> Ingo, he promised this if the bitkeeper logging went down for a period
> of time or if bitkeeper were to go out of buisness.

yes, i know.

> He did not promise this just because we use it for kernel development
> for 1-2 years, are you out of your mind? :-)

actually, this discussion dates back many years, and i definitely remember
an Alladin-soft -alike license being considered in where the GPL-ing of
the infrastructure would be delayed by 1-2 years to give Larry a
competitive advantage, but the potential damage to Linux would be limited.

        Ingo