Re: Linux v2.5.40 - and a feature freeze reminder

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Sat Oct 05 2002 - 19:09:11 EST

On 6 Oct 2002, Peter Osterlund wrote:

> My PCMCIA network card no longer works. During boot, I see this
> message:
>
> ds: no socket drivers loaded
>
> It worked in 2.5.39. Also this patch helps, although I don't
> understand why it is now needed:

The PCMCIA code does initializations in the wrong order, and
asynchronously (ie from multiple different threads). And init_pcmcia_ds()
really depends on the actual low-level drivers having had time to
register, since the PCMCIA code never had any sane way to inform the DS
layer that a new client driver had registered.

Thus the delay by init_pcmcia_ds() - to give time for drivers to
initialize. And the yenta driver needs some time.. That time apparently
went up a bit, probably due to the tq/work changes.

The _right_ thing to do is to not have init_pcmcia_ds() depend on
low-level drivers being initialized, but instead do that DS thing
_early_, and then when each driver initializes it would tell the DS layer.
But that's not how the PCMCIA code was organized..

                Linus