The end of embedded Linux?

From: Gigi Duru (giduru@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Oct 05 2002 - 14:36:50 EST

Trivial experiment: configure out _ALL_ the options on
2.5.38 and build bzImage. My result? A totally useless
270KB kernel (compressed).

Now try to put in some useful stuff and the
_compressed_ image will cheerfully approach 1MB. Where
are the days when a 200KB kernel would be fully
equipped?

I know you guys are struggling to bring "world class
VM & IO" to Linux, going for SMPs and other big toys,
but you are about to lose what you already have: the
embedded market.

As an embedded developer, I can't stand bloat. I think
an OS designer should feel the same, and develop in a
fully modular and configurable manner, going for both
speed and size. For a long time I've felt that Linux
has got it right, but lately I'm not that sure
anymore.

Gigi Duru